- View Desktop Site
Search:

NT2575 :: Old Broughton School, Macdonald Road

Taken 9 years ago by kim traynor near Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, Scotland

Old Broughton School, Macdonald Road by kim traynor
Old Broughton School, Macdonald Road

Broughton Primary School on the left and Broughton Senior Secondary School on the right opened in 1906. The Secondary served the children of the Stockbridge, lower New Town, Warriston and upper Leith Walk areas until it moved to Comely Bank in 1970. This view is from the playground at the back of the secondary school. Probably its best known alumnus was the poet Christopher Grieve, better known by his pen name Hugh McDiarmid. He was one of the inspirational figures behind the political Home Rule movement in the 1950s and 60s and devoted much of his life to reviving the Scots tongue, going as far as creating a semi-artificial modern version which he called Lallans (meaning Lowland Scots).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright kim traynor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image ·

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square NT2575
Subject Lat/Long 55.965658,-3.188625 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, Scotland
Photographer kim traynor
Taken 20100501 201005 2010 (about 9 years ago)
Submitted 2010-05-04
Group Open · Figure · Broughton Primary School · New Homes ·
Term senior secondary school · poet · inspirational figures · stockbridge · scots · pen name · home rule movement · tongue · 60s · playground · 1950s · alumnus ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/1839512