- View Desktop Site
Search:

TL8261 :: Horringer Green looking south

Taken 11 years ago by John Goldsmith near Horringer, Suffolk, England

Horringer Green looking south by John Goldsmith
Horringer Green looking south

Up to 1815 Horringer had a village green which was known as the Great Green, measuring a mile across and 60 acres in area. In 1815 an Act of Parliament permitted this to be enclosed and sold off. The 5th Earl, or First Marquis, of Bristol bought up much of it. The road was also built at that time. Houses and new enclosed agricultural areas replaced most of the green. See also picture TL8262 : Church Green, AKA Sheep's Green, Horringer.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright John Goldsmith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image · Larger Sizes

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square TL8261
Subject Lat/Long 52.223978,0.670781 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Horringer, Suffolk, England
Photographer John Goldsmith
Taken 20100802 201008 2010 (about 11 years ago)
Submitted 2010-08-03
Subject open area ·
Group Village Green ·
Term parliament · agricultural areas · act of parliament · green mile · marquis of bristol ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/1992689