- View Desktop Site
Search:

NS5964 :: Mercat Cross and Tolbooth Steeple

Taken 12 years ago by David Dixon near Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland

Mercat Cross and Tolbooth Steeple by David Dixon
Mercat Cross and Tolbooth Steeple

The Mercat Cross is at the south-eastern corner of Glasgow Cross. Market crosses like this can be found all over Scotland, marking the places where markets were legally held, This example is a modern (1930) interpretation of a traditional 17th century Scottish burgh cross. Behind the cross is NS5964 : The Tolbooth Steeple. The tower, now a traffic island in the middle of High Street, is all that remains of the Tollbooth, built in 1627 to house Glasgow's council chamber and administrative headquarters. The old building, which was attached to the tower, was demolished after the First World War.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image · Larger Sizes

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square NS5964
Subject Lat/Long 55.856819,-4.243683 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Glasgow, Glasgow City, Scotland
Photographer David Dixon
Taken 20100819 201008 2010 (about 12 years ago)
Submitted 2010-08-28
Subject cross ·
Group Street at Glasgow ·
Term south eastern corner · 17th century · glasgow cross · traffic island · cross market · scotland · crosses · administrative headquarters · tollbooth · s council · first world war · mercat cross ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/2036145