- View Desktop Site
Search:

NY0337 :: Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport

Taken 7 years ago by Richard Rogerson near Maryport/NY0336, Cumbria, England

Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport by Richard Rogerson
Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport

The collection was started in 1570 by John Senhouse, Lord of the Manor of Ellenborough.In the eighteenth century Colonel Humphrey Senhouse employed a man to preserve and record any carved stonework brought to light during the wholesale removal of much of the Roman Fort to provide building stone for the new town of Maryport. The collection is now housed in the building known as the Battery (a Royal Naval Artillery Volunteer Drill Hall built in 1885 to train naval gunners. The observation tower (seen in the distance in the photograph) gives a view of the full extent of the site. LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright Richard Rogerson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image · Larger Sizes

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square NY0337
Subject Lat/Long 54.721184,-3.495835 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Maryport/NY0336, Cumbria, England
Photographer Richard Rogerson
Taken 20150120 201501 2015 (about 7 years ago)
Submitted 2015-03-01
Context Historic sites and artefacts ·
Group Senhouse Roman Museum ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/4367174