- View Desktop Site
Search:

SP6164 :: Four Square Farm, Spotted Cow Lane, by Buckby Lock 13, Grand Union Canal

Taken 6 years ago by Jo Turner near Whilton Locks, Northamptonshire, England

Four Square Farm, Spotted Cow Lane, by Buckby Lock 13, Grand Union Canal by Jo Turner
Four Square Farm, Spotted Cow Lane, by Buckby Lock 13, Grand Union Canal

Probably dating from the late 18th century it was a public house called The Spotted Cow. About 4.5 acres, sale particulars of 1891 describe it as; 'the house contains taproom, bar, two sitting-rooms, pantry, kitchen with room over scullery, top and underground cellars, and four bedrooms. The outbuildings comprise stabling for ten horses, granary, hen and coal houses and piggeries, large yard with pump and well of good water, and extensive garden'. In 2014 the property was marketed with a guide price of £400,000 in need of extensive renovation. The bracket that held the pub sign is still fixed to the wall.
The Grand Union Canal
The Grand Union Canal was formed from an amalgamation of several formerly separate canals. Until the 1920s these had been independently owned and operated. The original part of the system was the Grand Junction Canal between Braunston and Brentford, constructed to reduce the route from the Midlands to London by sixty miles. This had locks fourteen feet wide, many branches to major towns and broad beam boats carrying up to seventy tons. Earlier linking canals were built with seven foot wide locks. The Regent's Canal acquired the Grand Junction and other canals in 1929 and created the new Grand Union Canal Carrying Company (GUCCC). In 1932, with government aid, extensive modernisation was carried out, including the widening of 52 locks between Braunston and Birmingham (Camp Hill), and the demolition and replacement of many 18th and early 19th century bridges; then the money ran out - and the World War II started, so the task was never completed. Waterways absorbed into the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company include: London area: Regent's Canal – original company Hertford Union Canal – bought by the Regent's Canal in 1857 Main Line*: Warwick and Napton Canal – bought by the Regent's Canal in 1927 Warwick and Birmingham Canal – bought by the Regent's Canal in 1927 Birmingham and Warwick Junction Canal – bought by the Regent's Canal in 1927 Grand Junction Canal – bought by the Regent's Canal in 1927 Leicester Line: Old Grand Union Canal – bought by the Grand Junction in 1894 Leicestershire and Northamptonshire Union Canal – bought by the Grand Junction in 1894 Leicester Navigation – bought by the Grand Union in 1932 Loughborough Navigation – bought by the Grand Union in 1932 Erewash Canal – bought by the Grand Union in 1932 *The current main line starts in London and ends in Birmingham (Digbeth), stretching for 137 miles (220 km) with 166 locks. For more details, a good start is: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image · Larger Sizes

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square SP6164
Subject Lat/Long 52.273296,-1.095114 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Whilton Locks, Northamptonshire, England
Photographer Jo Turner
Taken 20150625 201506 2015 (about 6 years ago)
Submitted 2015-07-12
Snippet The Grand Union Canal ·
Context Village, Rural settlement · Canals ·
Subject farm ·
Group Water · Buckby Lock 13 · Spotted Cow Lane ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/4566026