SK5739 :: South transept stained glass window, St Mary's church, Nottingham
Taken 4 years ago by Julian P Guffogg near Nottingham/SK5641, City of Nottingham, England
South transept stained glass window, St Mary's church, Nottingham
The Great south window was installed in 1867 and made by Heaton, Butler and Bayne and is dedicated to Thomas Smith. Pevsner describes this window as "a major mid-Victorian design, as exciting as the very different early ones by Morris & Co." It shows the Parables of Christ. "In memory of Thomas Smith of Nottingham & of Gaddesley Leicestershire who died the 14th July 1699 aged 67 and was buried in this church."
St Mary's church, Nottingham
Grade I listed The church dates from the 15th century, although it was built over an earlier 12th century church and some late 14th century fragments were incorporated. It was completed in 1474 and is a good example of perpendicular architecture. In 1844, the church was very nearly demolished, but there were several restorations undertaken by various architects including Sir Gilbert Scott. The church is a cruciform plan with a crossing tower and transepts. There is a nave with north and south aisles and clerestory. There is a choir and chancel, south chapel, south porch, and to the north there is a chapter house and vestry. The nave has six bays and many stained-glass windows. The roof has carved Angels on the corbels, and is by Scott. The tower is situated over the crossing, and has oak replacement vaulting as the original was destroyed in 1558 during a storm. There are 12 bells. The choir has stalls and a Bishops throne by Scott from 1871. The mediaeval choir stalls were sold to Sneinton church. The screen is by Bodley and Garner. The south Chapel was built in 1913 and some windows contain reset fragments of mediaeval stained glass. The south porch dates from the early 15th century, but the doors of bronze are by Henry Wilson from 1905. The organ in the south transept is by Marcussen and from 1973. The font dates from the 15th century with a modern cover.
(click any of the following to view more images)
|Subject Grid Square||SK5739|
|Subject Lat/Long||52.951155,-1.143108 (click to view more nearby images)|
|Near||Nottingham/SK5641, City of Nottingham, England|
|Photographer||Julian P Guffogg|
|Taken||20150825 201508 2015 (about 4 years ago)|
|Snippet||St Mary's church, Nottingham ·|
|Context||Religious sites ·|
|Tag||Stained Glass window · place:Nottingham · church:St Marys · Heaton Butler & Bayne ·|
View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/4633601