ST3188 :: Newport Provisions Market
Taken 13 years ago by Robin Drayton near Newport/Casnewydd, Newport, Wales
Newport Provisions Market
The blue to plaque to the right of the entrance was provided by the Newport Civic Society and states - "Built in 1854, an early example of a large span cast iron frame building featuring its glass filled barrel roof. The Dock Street offices and tower were constructed late in 1887." Indoor views can be seen at ST3188 : Newport Indoor Market and ST3188 : The Gallery, Newport Indoor Market.
Newport Indoor Market
The earliest part of the market dates back to 1864 when it was owned by the Duke of Beaufort. Newport Corporation became the owners in 1885. Later 19th century development included the barrel-vaulted roof, additional offices and the distinctive tower and Lower Dock Street entrance. 20th century enhancements include the extension to the upper floor in the 1930s with more changes and refurbishment in the 1970s. Further improvements were made at the start of the 21st century. Also known as Newport Provisions Market it houses over 60 stalls from butchers, greengrocers and confectioners to sellers of books, records and comics. Amongst the others are art and craft stalls, a clock and watch repairer, a computer repairer, cafés and hairdressers. The upper gallery also hosts a variety of events throughout the year. Grade II listed.
(click any of the following to view more images)
|Subject Grid Square||ST3188|
|Subject Lat/Long||51.588948,-2.996225 (click to view more nearby images)|
|Near||Newport/Casnewydd, Newport, Wales|
|Taken||20070809 200708 2007 (about 13 years ago)|
|Snippet||Newport Indoor Market ·|
|Group||Street Viewed ·|
|Term||newport · civic society · plaque · cast iron frame · frame building · span ·|
View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/522331