- View Desktop Site
Search:

TG2708 :: The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital)

Taken 7 days ago by Evelyn Simak near Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk, England

The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) by Evelyn Simak
The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital)

View west across centre court on Southside. The building seen at right is part of the original west wing. Opened for 100 inmates in 1814, the only provision for lunatics in Norwich had until then been at the Bethel hospital within the city. The original building consisted of a range of two-storey wings for male and female patients, divided by a central administration block and service areas. The building was constructed with a view to economy, using yellow stock brick and grey slate roofing. The grounds to the south included airing courts for male and female patients and a burial ground to the south east, consecrated and opened to burials in 1815. By 1849 further alterations to the site were required. These were designed by John Brown, because Francis Stone had died in 1835. The ward blocks were expanded with projecting wings to the north and male and female accommodation was swapped with males moved from the west to the east sides.
The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital)
For detailed information please read my article --> LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image ·

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square TG2708
Subject Lat/Long 52.627892,1.366161 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Thorpe St Andrew, Norfolk, England
Photographer Evelyn Simak
Taken 20180212 201802 2018 (about 7 days ago)
Submitted 2018-02-12
Snippet The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) ·
Context Housing, Dwellings ·
Group Viewed from the East · Building Seen ·

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/5678147