TQ4080 :: Lightship, Royal Victoria Dock
Taken 1 year ago by N Chadwick near Canning Town, Newham, England
Lightship, Royal Victoria Dock
Royal Victoria Dock
The Royal Victoria Dock opened in 1855 it was the first of the Royal Docks and the first London dock to be designed specifically to accommodate large steam ships. It was also the first to use hydraulic power to operate its machinery and the first to be connected to the national railway network. The Royal Victoria Dock consisted of a main dock and a basin to the west, providing an entrance to the Thames on the western side of the complex. The dock was an immediate commercial success, as it could easily accommodate all but the very largest steamships. It was badly damaged by German bombing in World War II but experienced a resurgence in trade following the war. However, from the 1960s onwards, the Royal Victoria experienced a steady decline as the shipping industry adopted containerization, which effectively moved traffic downstream to Tilbury. It finally closed to commercial traffic along with the other Royal Docks in 1980. Since the 1980s the area around the dock has been redeveloped, including the ExCel Centre.
Lightship or lightvessel, is a ship which acts as a lighthouse. They are used in waters that are too deep or otherwise unsuitable for lighthouse construction. Although there is some record of fire beacons placed on ships in Roman times, the first modern lightvessel was off the Nore sandbank at the mouth of the River Thames in England, placed there by its inventor Robert Hamblin in 1732. The type has become largely obsolete; some stations were replaced by lighthouses as the construction techniques for the latter advanced, while others were replaced by large automated buoys.
(click any of the following to view more images)
|Subject Grid Square||TQ4080|
|Subject Lat/Long||51.505640,0.027502 (click to view more nearby images)|
|Near||Canning Town, Newham, England|
|Taken||20180111 201801 2018 (about 1 year ago)|
|Snippet||Royal Victoria Dock · Light Ship ·|
|Context||Derelict, Disused · Communications · Docks, Harbours ·|
View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/5738396