- View Desktop Site
Search:

TL8261 :: Horringer houses [11]

Taken 5 months ago by Michael Dibb near Horringer, Suffolk, England

Horringer houses [11] by Michael Dibb
Horringer houses [11]

Once known as Highlands, The Old Rectory in The Street is 15th and early 16th century with early 17th and mid 18th century alterations. Timber framed and plastered. Originally jettied to the street, now only the left-hand bay has retained the jetty. The open hall attached to the jettied wing was demolished circa 1530 and replaced with the existing main range of hall and parlour. There were additions in the 17th century. There are some fine internal original features. The Old Rectory was built in the 16th century when parish priests were expected to provide accommodation for travellers. In 1873 a new rectory was built, and in 1877 the building became the Horringer and Ickworth Working Men’s Club. Listed, grade II, with details at: LinkExternal link The small village of Horringer, earlier known as Horningsheath lies astride the A143 road some two miles south west of Bury St Edmunds. The village includes the main entrance to Ickworth Park. There was once three blacksmiths’ forges in the village. , with complex roll mouldings and hollow chamfers to 1st and attic floor members. A further parlour was added early C17 to rear, with complete oak wainscotting. In mid C18 the chimney between hall and parlour rebuilt, vaulting over new entrance hall, with staircase having moulded handrail and turned newels and balusters; other mid-C18 joinery including panelled doors and cornices.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   ©Copyright Michael Dibb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
· Find out How to reuse this image · Share: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Pinterest Flipboard WhatsApp · Download Image · Larger Sizes

(click any of the following to view more images)


popup map coverage map navigate
Subject Grid Square TL8261
Subject Lat/Long 52.224409,0.671540 (click to view more nearby images)
Near Horringer, Suffolk, England
Photographer Michael Dibb
Taken 20200915 202009 2020 (about 5 months ago)
Submitted 2021-02-23

View full page at geograph.org.uk/photo/6760875